Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pinterest should have an "I made it" button!

Posted by:  Courtney

I love Pinterest.  In fact, everyone I know who is "on" Pinterest loves Pinterest.  But I have so many friends who say, "I have all these boards but have never made anything!"  I am proud to say that I have attempted quite a few of my 'pins'.  Most recently, I made the six-layer rainbow cake that is all over Pinterest.  It was my son Alex's 6th birthday and he said he would love it if I made that cake for his party.  So... I got to work.  I had to bake six layers of cake.  Fortunately, we have double ovens, so that helped with the baking time.  And because we had 21 family members coming to his party, I had to bake TWO cakes.  Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to double the recipe and then cut each cake in half to make two layers... I made 12 individual layers of cake.  Hindsight is 20/20.


On the first one, I iced the sides, but I ran out of icing before icing the sides on the second cake.  However, I really liked the way it looked without it, so you could see all of the colors.  I wish I hadn't iced the sides of the first one!

 The birthday boy... checking out his cake.



 I love the vibrant colors!  The trick is to use gel food coloring rather than liquid.


I am really pleased with the way it turned out!  But when my mother-in-law asked Sam (my younger son) what kind of birthday cake he wants for his birthday (in April), I was really hoping I wouldn't hear, "Rainbow!"  Fortunately, he asked for a robot cake.


On top of the cake, I blew up 144 balloons for his party as well!  He LOVED it!  (Note:  I used an air compressor, and my MIL helped me thread them all into this strip for the party!)

I really need to remember that what I do for one child's birthday will most likely be requested again in two months by the second child for his birthday!  Hopefully all of the balloons that are still floating around our house will be deflated by the time I have to do that all again.

What have you made off of Pinterest?  I'd love to hear all about it!

1 comment:

  1. hi court! i have not been on blogs in forever but clicked on yours and just saw the awesome cake you made for alex!!! very impressed :) miss you - sorry we haven't connected recently... maybe we could find a time, even once school starts? say hi to matt and the boys from us! so impressed that you have done so many of your "pins"!!! awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete